please don't put down OZ sumartan tiger hamilton zoo nz

/ #515

2015-09-21 02:08

Firstly, my condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the woman who has died in this tragedy. But as to putting the Tiger down because of the attack I am vehemently opposed. Although I imagine it will be some time before public are fully aware of the circumstances that led to this tragedy the fact remains that there are many wild animals in this zoo, and many others that could potentially kill a person. These are wild animals. Some people are opposed to keeping zoos or having animals in captivity altogether, but it must also be acknowledged that many animals that have become endangered living in their natural habitat, and that some very successful breeding programs occur in our zoos. I have visited Hamilton zoo on several occasions. The enclosures are spacious, beautifully designed and planted to replicate the animals natural environment, and staffed by caring, animal loving people who are passionate about conservation. I am sure the casualty was no different. Let's not exacerbate this tragedy by punishing this beautiful animal for doing something that is instinctive to it's species for survival. Rather, let the investigation take place and let us learn what went wrong and how we can prevent this from happening again.